Have you noticed how Twitter has fast become the darling of the TV networks? I’m not just talking about American Idol, where the Twitter handles of the contestants are now listed under their name billings, but news networks are now reading Twitter comments on the air as a way of including their viewers in the interaction.
Twitter has gone mainstream!
Take that as good news for your online endeavors! With more and more people interested in being part of the conversation, you have more opportunities to connect with your audience and become the American Idol in your niche!
Here’s a few reasons you should be chomping at the bit to use Twitter:
- Cultivating a raving network. Can you ever have a big enough network? Not in my opinion and for networking, there’s no place like Twitter! The larger my network, the larger the audience for my services. Simply put, big networks usually convert into big net worths.
- Access to SuperStars in your niche. It’s never been easier to start or join a conversation with people you admire and look up to. Go for it! Start talking with folks you want to emulate.
- Tweet chats. Where else can you find like-minded people, become part of a community, and share information on a regular basis? My favorites: #smmanners, #blogchat, and #toolschat. I like those because they talk about social media, blogging, and tech tools, in that order. I learn, mingle, and share. Try it, if you haven’t.
- Hashtags. Use them to find your tribe! Looking for people who have similar interests? Search with a hashtag (#), and you’ll find the folks tweeting about your topic. Connect with them and grow your sphere! Still not quite sure of how to use? Read more here: Hashtags
- #FollowFriday or #FF. While this is loved by many and shunned by more than a few, it does have a benefit. Basically, it’s a day to recommend people you follow to others. Use it wisely because it can turn into your biggest Twitter mistake if you’re not careful!
- Promotions. Who doesn’t want to promote their latest blog post, product, interview, or live gig? Twitter is the perfect venue for that! And, don’t be shy! Ask your followers to Re-tweet that link for you. They are usually more than happy to! (word of caution: Every tweet can’t be promotional or you’ll end up with no friends)
- Online Visibility. If you are on Twitter several minutes throughout the day, every day, people will start to notice you. In the game of online marketing, isn’t that the goal? Enough said.
- Swift info. Want to learn about a new product in your niche? Or who else is attending the next live event? Ask that question on Twitter and you’ll usually get a fast response. There’s really no better method for spontaneous, “in the moment” answers! Think American Idol here. Watching, tweeting, conversing, and connecting very quickly!
Yes, Twitter is here to stay and growing like crazy. If you are looking for a way to network without a lot of time guzzling, this could be your best shot. OK, it can be addicting (and maybe a little too much fun!), but come on, so can anything else. If you tend to be a chatterbox, limit your time. (I do!) Just remember to stay focused while you’re tweeting!
Gentle caution . . .
Tweet smart. Tweeting the wrong or inappropriate thing can bring about a horrible result (Have You Had This Twitter Shock Yet?). I’ve been on Twitter since early 2008 and have come to the conclusion it’s best to abide by a simple set of rules. No foul language. No talking about others. No dirty laundry. Just follow the golden rule and you’ll be safe!
Are you a regular Twitter user? What do you like best about it? Or least?
p.s. Don’t have Twitter in your marketing mix? You might like this program!