Everybody’s jumping on the social networking bandwagon and it’s thriving like crazy! However, I’m still seeing some people trying to make sense of it all but not quite succeeding.
Let’s take a look at what’s HOT and what’s NOT!
- HOT: Being patient, and understanding your social media plan takes time.
- NOT: Thinking social media networking is a quick and easy fix. It’s not!
- HOT: Blogging. Blogs are hot, hot, HOT! Use your blog as your “hub” or the congregating place for your audience. Don’t forget, the comments section of your blog is really the happenin’ place! It’s where the “social” part starts.
- NOT: Trying to use your Facebook page as your “hub.” This is becoming more common and it’s really risky! With the FB changes happening daily, who wants to depend on an outside force for their main platform? Bring your audience to your playground! (hint: that would be your own site!)
- HOT: Making regular updates across all social media platforms. Reach out daily. AND, engage. You know what that means, interact with others on the platforms!
- NOT: Thinking social media marketing is somehow passive. If you are automating to the hilt, I have to ask, “How is that working for ya?” It doesn’t. Period.
- HOT: Promoting and referring others. It’s all about the giving!
- NOT: Forgetting that it’s always about them and not you. If you are always talking about you, pretty soon you won’t have anyone to talk to!
- HOT: Building relationships. The hotness in my book!
- NOT: It’s really not a numbers game or a popularity contest. A bazillion Twitter followers or Facebook fans means nothing if they aren’t engaging with you and converting into customers.
Social networking can be fast and furious and a lot of fun. I just want you to keep it HOT too!