I just returned from seeing “The Social Network.” This is the first time I have ever blogged about a movie but there was so much meat to it, I couldn’t resist!
It’s the story of the creation of Facebook and what a story it is! As an online entrepreneur and marketer, I find the founder Mark Zuckerberg’s story intriguing.
Without ruining the movie, I want to list some the nuggets I pulled from it that I think can benefit us all.
Lessons from Mark Zuckerberg and “The Social Network”:
- Focus. This is a biggie. When you are building your business, you have to put on blinders and get rid of distractions. Keep your eye on the prize and don’t look to the left or right!
- Recognize inspiration. When ideas are coming, don’t second-guess them. Learn to trust yourself.
- Setbacks don’t equal failure. We’ve all heard it before but it does seem to be true. Just when you think the sky is falling in and you might be tempted to throw in the towel, right around the corner is success beyond your wildest dreams. Believe it.
- Take immediate action. Whenever an inspired idea hits, immediately (do not stop, do not pass go) take action. This is what it takes when you are on the climb to the top. If you can’t implement immediately, at least write it down and take action as soon as possible. I really feel this is the most important concept to grasp in business. There are really no “stolen” ideas. Only ideas that weren’t acted on!
- Change is constant. The internet and the world are constantly changing. You can embrace it or get left behind. It’s that simple. Social media changed our world but you can bet it won’t be the last change we see!
I could go on and on about networking, ways to finance your biz ideas, and all sorts of other subjects brought up in “The Social Network” but I won’t. This is enough for you to chew on for now.
I will say this: Go see it!
See if you don’t find some gems that make you want to head back to your office as quickly as you can and begin work on that next project! Or better yet, finish the one you’ve already started!