Social media marketing is changing as we speak. Its evolving nature sometimes makes it difficult to know what the “rules” are. However, some things never change.
Here’s my rundown on What’s HOT and what’s NOT!
- HOT: Taking the time to build a relationship.
- NOT: Bombarding your audience with a stream of promotions.
- HOT: Being patient, and knowing your social media plan takes time.
- NOT: Thinking social media marketing is a quick fix. It’s not easy and it’s certainly not fast!
- HOT: Blogging. Think of your blog as the “hub” or the gathering place of your audience. The comments section of your blog is where the “social” part starts.
- NOT: Thinking that Facebook fan page you just created is going to be your “hub.” Forget about it! With the FB changes happening every day, you don’t want to depend on an outside force for your main platform!
- HOT: Making regular updates across all social media platforms. Reach out daily.
- NOT: Thinking social media marketing is somehow passive. If you are automating to the hilt, I have to ask, “How is that working for ya?” It doesn’t. Period.
- HOT: Promoting others. It’s the givers of the world who are the most successful!
- NOT: Forgetting that it’s always about them and not you. If you are always talking about you, pretty soon you won’t have anyone to talk to!
- HOT: Building relationships. This one is so important that it deserves another mention!
- NOT: It’s not a numbers game or a popularity contest. A gazillion Twitter followers means nothing if they aren’t engaging with you and your message.
Social media marketing is here to stay.
And I want you to stay HOT!
Have fun out there!