Sometimes, just knowing a few ins and outs can make a huge difference in your results.
Here’s some quick Do’s and Don’ts that work!
- Do understand that a good social media plan takes time. Be patient. And consistent.
- Don’t think for a minute that social media is a “quick fix.” It’s not. Never was. It’s a communication tool. Period.
- Do build a blogging platform. Seriously. Bloggers are more likely to be successful with social media simply because they have interesting topics (from their own blogs) to talk about!
- Don’t get hung up on the wrong numbers. I’m talking “likes” and “followers.” Be more interested in the number of connections that really resonate with your message. Anything else equates to a popularity contest.
- Do take the time to build relationships. The old adage is true. The bigger your network, the bigger your success!
- Don’t confuse the social sites with your website. Your website is your online real estate. Use the social sites to bring folks there.
- Do update your status regularly and frequently. It’s hard to interact with someone who doesn’t show up!
- Don’t think you can be a passive player. Automation has its place, but engagement can not be automated.
- Do promote others. This is the single most important tip on this list. Recommending other people and resources will come back to you tenfold!
- Don’t forget. It’s always about them and not you. Keep talking about you and only you and let me know how that works out!
- Do use good manners. It’s always impolite to interrupt in conversation. For example, if people are having a nice conversation and a fantastic discussion is erupts on Facebook, don’t interrupt that thread to give a link to your latest and greatest promotion. It’s really NOT cool. DO however, interject quality and value to the conversation if you can. Do it with words. Your promotional links can be used elsewhere.
- Don’t confuse the sites. Facebook is not Twitter is not LinkedIn is not Pinterest. Each site has it’s own flavor and ways of encouraging interactions. Take the time to learn this and you’ll shine on each one!
- Do have fun! Social media is about conversations. Go out there and join the fun!
Social media is simply a way to connect with your prospects, customers, and clients. The main thing is to just get started!