Have you dreamed of having your own business? Does the word “entrepreneur” make your heart sing but you don’t take the plunge because you have certain fears around the idea?
Here are a few myths about being an entrepreneur that you just might believe and could be stopping you from taking the plunge.
- It’s all or nothing. It’s no such thing. You don’t have to begin your business gung-ho with nothing to fall back on. Many successful entrepreneurs started their businesses part time while working a full time j.o.b. In reality, that’s probably more the way it works.
- Only fools would start a business in this risky economy. If you have the idea, the time and energy, the focus, and the start-up money, there is no time like the present. In fact, if you look at history, many businesses thrived during the great depression. The same thing is happening in the here and now. (some bad economy/thriving business examples: cosmetics and self-help products)
- Entrepreneurs are all about the money. I can tell you from my experience, this is absolutely false. Of course, biz owners want to earn a profit. A hefty one. They can’t stay in business otherwise. However, meet a successful entrepreneur and you’ll likely find he/she is totally obsessed with helping others. That’s why they do what they do. They have a product or service that’s going to improve your life!
- You have to have a unique idea. The good news about being an online marketer/entrepreneur is many fabulous products have affiliate programs. You can sell other people’s products and receive a commission on your sales.
- Get rich quick is the name of the game. Probably the biggest myth of all. Especially with internet start-ups. There is so much hype out there that it’s easy to see why people might get caught up in the fish tales. The fact is, what seems like an overnight success is usually supported by LOTS of good old hard work!
- Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. Baloney! What that really means is people prefer to play life “safe.” They want the “sure thing.” Newsflash: Steady paychecks aren’t “sure things” anymore! My guess is they are avoiding something else. Failure. Yep, entrepreneurs aren’t afraid of failure. Do we like it? Of course not. But, it doesn’t define us or what we are trying to do. Fail fast and get it over with is a common way of thinking in the entrepreneurial world.
The greatest part of having an online biz is the leveling of the playing field and the opportunities galore for anyone wanting to begin. If that dream is still a dream, begin today to make it a reality. Bite the bullet and just start. Take a baby step and then another. Keep going and before you know it, you’re on your way!
Enjoy your path to freedom!