You write and write and write on your blog and still, no increase in readers. Why? Could be any number of reasons but there are certain objectives that you might want to keep in mind that will increase your readership.
Combine these tips and your blog will sing out to be followed:
- Update often – Yes, you wanted to write blogs didn’t you? Well, that means you have to write posts consistently. Posting regularly also has the added benefit of getting your blog noticed by the search engines such as Google.
- Be original – Lately, I’ve noticed a trend to put a very eye-catching headline out there but when you actually click on the blog post, it is only a video or content from another site. Don’t do it. That is just same content, different site. Put your own work out there and be original.
- Use guest bloggers – This is different from the advice above. A guest blogger will bring fresh content to your site and untapped readers. Use them wisely.
- Be funny - Humor sells. People like to be entertained. Unless you are operating a very dry technical site, let your personality shine. You don’t have to be the class clown blogger but do interject some fun! Plain and simple, humor works!
- Blog directories – Get listed. Make sure your blog is listed in a blog directory. It can mean the difference in number of eyes seeing your site. Some great ones are: Yahoo, BlogHub, Google, and DMOZ
- Social media – Never, ever underestimate the power of social networking. A few minutes a day on Twitter or Facebook can give a boost to your readership overnight!
- Relevant content – You knew this was coming. You can work yourself to the bone bringing people to your site but if they get here and the content is junk, they won’t be back. Period. End of story.
- Related post - This one is overlooked many times. It’s a simple line at the end of your post where you give relevant links back to previous posts you’ve written that the reader would also benefit from. Try it, you’ll be surprised!
- Give – Not just to your readers but to your fellow bloggers. This is a biggie and here’s why: You want people to read your blog, right? Then, by all means, return the favor! Find a few blogs in your industry that are well written and informative and follow them, leave comments and promote those blogs. It will come back to you in reader abundance!
Now, if increased readers to your blog is your goal, get out there and take these tips to heart.
Go get ‘em!