There’s highly successful bloggers and then there’s everybody else.
It seems as if the whole world is now blogging. So much so that this little ditty made its way into my brain:
“Everybody’s doing it, doing it, doing it;
Thinking up words, and blogging ‘em, blogging ‘em.” (somewhat original)
Common Threads for the Highly Successful Bloggers:
- Be Passionate. I’ve mentioned this tip a few times. Basically, you have got to enjoy what you are writing about. How to know if you’re passionate? Make a list of 50 blog titles. If you can’t think of that many, you are probably not passionate about the subject matter.
- Be Yourself. This goes without saying. If you are a funny person, don’t try to be all formal and stoic on your blog. It won’t work. Let your natural humor shine through. You know the drill. Be authentic.
- Update Often. There’s no real “rule” about how often to post on your blog, but the highly successful bloggers are churning out several a week. Four could be the magic number here. The reasoning behind this is you want to keep your readers coming back. If they continue to return and there’s nothing new, they’ll go elsewhere.
- Join Other Bloggers. This means get out there on the net and be social. You want comments on your blog, right? Then maybe you should leave some on other blogs. (notice the comment box after this post!) Retweet good blog posts on Twitter. (notice the little “retweet” box on the top of this post, to the right!) Follow other blogs on Networked Blogs on Facebook. (again, look on the sidebar, click the “follow this blog” button underneath the Networked Blogs) OK, now you are officially helping a fellow blogger. Don’t worry, I’ll be glad to return the favor!
- Use Guest Bloggers. Your readers will enjoy the variety and your guest will enjoy the link. You’ve seen it done here and I’m going to do it again real soon. If you have any suggestions about who you would like as a guest blogger, please let me know!
- Use Feeds. RSS syndicates your blog. You can get a widget for this. Again, look at the top right hand side of this blog. See the little orange RSS button? Makes it easy for my readers to subscribe!
- Keep It Simple. In the writing department. Highly successful bloggers use short words and short sentences. It works.
- Keep Your Readers Happy. How? By writing relevant content. Give them value and they will come back over and over. A gentle warning here: A little controversy is OK but tread lightly. If you are wanting to make money with your blog, you don’t want to offend whole groups of people with your writing. I’m just sayin’!
We all want to be successful at what we do. Blogging is no different. Keep these tips in mind and your blogs will hit all the high notes! Happy Blogging!