What does having an online marketing strategy mean to you?
Marketing is simply the techniques used to promote your products and services. While I subscribe to the relationship marketing way of doing business, you DO have to get your name out there to start and grow the relationships!
Here’s my own tried-and-true list of easy-to-implement ways that I personally use to get my message out:
- Social Media – you knew that would be number one! If you’re not on the social media platforms, go now and sign up for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. All are free and will give you the most bang for the buck if you use them right! (if you need help, contact me!)
- Make a social media splash - This simply means do something daily. If you want to be seen and heard, you have to make your presence known! How to do that? Update those statuses DAILY. Get people in the habit of seeing you on the social sites and interacting with you. Be interested in them! It takes a minimal amount of time and is so worth it!
- Video – OK, most people DO like to watch. This is a dynamic avenue for folks to see, hear, and somewhat get to “know” you. Jump in and let your personality shine! Hey, if I can do it, you can too! (Best Tweet Tips Video)
- Facebook Page – This is very different from your personal profile page. Use it to give helpful tips, engage with your audience, promote your products AND drive traffic back to your main site. Use the header as a billboard. It’s the first sight they see. Let it give information in a quick, precise way. My own example is: Martha’s FB Page
- Ezine Articles – Sometimes overlooked, submitting articles is an excellent marketing strategy. It’s a fabulous way to let people know you are the expert. Plus, using the resource box at the end of articles is yet another way to bring people back to your site. While Ezine Articles is my favorite, you’ll find numerous article directories out there!
- Blog commenting – I first learned of this technique from the book Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk. While I was a skeptic at first, it has proved to be invaluable in my business. Not only is it a great way to interact with other bloggers, it’s another way for you to show you can give added value and knowledge to others. This one gets an A+ in my book!
- Talk back! – I’m talking about all comments left on your own blog. Also, this goes for e-mails that are in the form of questions, and any comments left for you on the social media sites. Once the conversation starts, you are half-way home to helping someone move into your funnel. Make sure people know you are accessible.
- Freebies – Some think this is an over-used method, but I say it still works. After all, it’s pretty hard to resist free! In creating your own freebie, don’t be afraid you’ll give away the secret sauce. In my experience, the more I give away, the more I get back in the form of customers and clients. Generosity is always seen as a good thing! (one of my own freebies: How To Be An Expert Blogger)
- Squidoo – If you haven’t used this site for marketing purposes, you are missing out! From “how-to” information to recommended products, this site rocks! Need an example? Here’s one featuring yours truly! Martha’s Squidoo
- Online groups – Both LinkedIn and Facebook are leading the way in this area. Find groups in your niche and chances are, you’ll find people who need what you’re offering! The key here is to contribute quality information and genuinely be helpful. And, don’t forget, you can start your own group where you are THE expert!
- Be recognizable – Make people remember you. Don’t make them guess. Use the same picture and logo everywhere on the net. If you haven’t done so yet, go to Gravatar.com and upload a picture of yourself so when you leave comments on other blogs, your picture will be there.
Developing an online marketing plan can sometimes be challenging. After all, there are so many places to put your message. Pick and choose, figure out the ones that work best for your goals, and get out there and play!
p.s. Don’t forget. . . if you are looking for a way to get your biz Rockin’ and Rollin’ in the online success department, join me June 8-9 in Dallas for Making It Online Now! Early bird registration going on NOW!