But wait. . . . . there’s more!
After giving you an overview on copywriting yesterday, I realized I hadn’t given you any concrete tips. As with anything else, there’s always the rules!
Here’s my top ten copywriting rules:
1. Know your audience. Who are your buyers and what exactly do they want? Be sure you know the answer to this question. You want to be talking to the right people!
2. Know your product. Inside and out. How else can you write intelligently about it?
3. Benefits vs. features. Sometimes this can be confusing. A great example is a new car. The feature would be the air bags. The benefit is that your family is safe in case of accident. Convert all features to benefits and you are talking their language.
4. Keep it flowing. Make sure each line written leads to the next. Don’t be scattered with your copy.
5. Use short words and sentences. Key word here is “short.” That matches your reader’s attention span! Make it easy to comprehend by using simple but effective words. Remember, they don’t want to go to the dictionary!
6. Overcome the objectives. Tell your customer on the front end why they might be skeptical, then give the solution. They will love you for it!
7. Be conversational. Communication is naturally conversational. Speak their language!
8. Be yourself. Authentic and real. That’s always the key.
9. Tell a story. Preferably, your own. Everyone loves a story and your customers are no different. Isn’t it easier to remember a story than a whole list of features? Weave a story into your copy where the reader can picture himself as the main character.
10.Give a call to action. The whole purpose of copywriting is to sell your products. You have to actually ask for the order! Tell them precisely what to buy, how to buy and where to buy!
Now, go out there and spend some time writing copy. You can do it!