I’m an avid reader and a passionate blogger so I tend to visit other blogs on a regular basis. While it pains me to say this, I feel I must. Most of the blogs out there bore me.
Don’t get me wrong. There are some fantastic blogs out there that I read on a regular basis that continually up their game and keep me coming back for more. I’m talking about the lame, lifeless blogs here. You know who you are.
Your blog looks like this . . .
- There are no stories. Ok, just call me looking for entertainment but seriously, I want a story intertwined. That makes the blog come to life! Makes it real. Makes the information stand out! If your recent faux pas on Twitter left you wishing you’d never heard of social media, tell me. And adding a good lesson is always icing on the cake! Take me on the journey!
- No discussion is prompted. The most intriguing blogs stimulate discussions. You know it’s true. Aren’t you more inclined to read one with a dozen or more comments than not? If people are talking, chances are, the blog is resonating to the hilt! Don’t be afraid to tackle a controversial subject. People love good debates. Give them one!
- Nothing new is being said. Ok, I know. There’s nothing new under the sun, but at least put your spin on it and give it a fun twist. That way, what you’re saying at least seems like it’s fresh and new! And don’t forget the newest gadgets, books, apps, etc. that are interesting to you. Believe me, That’s all great fodder for your readers too!
- Posting a video is not the same as blogging. Sorry, but with no story or SOMEthing to peak my interest, I’m not clicking. Period.
- The post is a not-so-disguised sales page. Give me a break. I do NOT want you to sell me something in your blog post. If your post is recommending a product or service and you have a link to a sales page, that’s a little different. I have a choice whether to click or not. Just don’t bombard me or try to sell me in the post. It’s boring. Not to mention annoying.
- Lacks passion. This one really needs no explanation. If you are passionate about your blog, it comes through in the writing. It just doesn’t sound like a college thesis. It’s got some heart and soul in the writing! Even if you are just giving your readers a list post with recommendations, let them know why the person or thing is on your list. Why it floats your boat!
- The blogger didn’t show up. Yep, we can tell if you are just spitting out some content to fill up the page. The post is dry, humorless, and (do I dare say it again?) boring as heck!
OK, I’ll admit that I don’t write a dynamite post every single time I blog. But I will say this: I give it my best shot every single time. My goal is to inform and not bore.
How about you?