Why do you blog?
To get your message out?
To rack up stats for your site?
To become the expert in your niche?
To enhance your relationship with your customers?
The reasons are as varied as people, but there’s a fact you should be aware of.
Over 90% of all blogs fail!
Shazaam! Not the kind of info one wants to hear about blogging!
Here’s a few things you can do to be sure you are NOT one of the casualties:
- Update often. Think about it. If you get bored or tired of writing your blog, don’t you think your readers will notice? We are a “I-want-it-and-I-want-it-now” society and your blog is no different. If you can’t deliver information in a timely manner, don’t bother. It won’t take long for your readers to lose interest!
- Be yourself. Have I said that enough times already? Listen, I would love to have all the blogging knowledge Problogger Darren Rowse has stored in his brain, but I don’t. So I’m not going to pretend to. What I do have is my own take on blogging and what’s worked for me and that’s what I blog about. In my own voice. It works!
- Stay in your niche. I have tried to hammer this home too (Pick A Lane And Stay In It!), but it remains one of the key reasons for blog failure. You need to have a clearly defined niche and stay there. Be sure it’s clear what you are all about.
- Don’t be an ax-grinder. It’s alright to be controversial, but don’t whine and complain constantly. Who want to hear it? Enough said!
- Be sincere. Don’t blog about things you don’t believe in or things you think you “should” just to get a blog post out there. People can smell insincerity a mile away. Bring a heavy dose of passion for your subject and your blog will be like a thriving baby. People won’t be able to get enough!
- Say something! We’ve all seen them. The rambling blogs. Or the vanity blogs. Or (worse) the who-knows-what-they-are-talking-about blogs! Take the time to do your research. Give good content and say something relevant. The end!
Don’t let your blog be on the road to nowhere. Get out there, be passionate about what you’re doing, tell others about it, and sing your song!
p.s. Don’t forget to pick up your free copy of Profitable Blogger Now. My gift to you