It just so happens that, with a little practice and a few tools, everyone can write irresistible headlines!
For starters, let’s talk about what they are NOT!
- They are not lies. - Tantalizing and intriguing, yes, but don’t stretch the truth about what the reader will receive in the article.
- They are not boring. - Yawn. Why bother?
- They are not the main show. - They get people to click on, but the content has to be stellar for folks to stick around. (Check out The Truth About Outrageous Headlines for more on that)
Headlines serve the greatest purpose of all. To make people stop, take notice, and come on over to your blog. Essentially, they are the front door!
Here’s some tips to make it easier:
- Ask yourself this question: Would my headline make me stop and read?
- Look no further than the grocery check-out. Think tabloids. We would all agree those headlines are outrageous as heck, right? Next time you are tempted to pick one up, pay attention to the headline that is pulling you in. Write it down. Which leads to the next tip . .
- Start a headline “swipe file.” If you don’t know what this is, here’s a quick definition: It’s a place you keep all those interesting and provocative headlines you start to write down. No need to re-invent the wheel. When you see headlines that grab you, start collecting them. With a few tweaks of your own, you will quickly be able to think up a headline with your collection as a guide!
- Use “tried and true” triggers. Some words just work!
Here’s a few for your files . . .
And last, but not least . . .
Blog posts that start with “How to” are always in high demand. People LOVE those. Think about how many times you have probably googled “how to” do something yourself. It’s the big winner!
Now, get out there and make people beg to read your blog post!