When I look back on everything that’s happened since starting my business in 2008, I realize it all boils down to a few strategic decisions I made along the way.
Seven really crazy good decisions, to be exact. Ready? Here they are . . .
- Make the decision – Yes, this one can sound pretty silly at first glance. But it really is the most important of the 7 decisions. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE TO BE IN BUSINESS. That means nothing is going to stand in your way. You are going to put your business as a top priority and no matter what, keep going forward. That’s the beauty of making the decision. It keeps you going.
- Get up 1 hour earlier every day – Surprised? I know. This one sounds a little weird but this one change in your behavior can have big results on your bottom line. Think you already get up early enough? This has to do with being willing to do what it takes. Also discipline, productivity, and a whole lot of other stuff I won’t discuss in this post.
OK, decision made, out of bed early . . . now what??
- Hire a coach – This should come as no surprise. I’ve always advocated working with a coach and in fact, hired my first one before I had made a dime. Before I even had a site up!! You see, there is something magical about learning from somebody who’s already wildly successful and has the results to prove it. It’s just smart. If you want to bypass months (or years!) of trying to figure it out, this is the way. Enough said. It works.
- Invest in your business – People will tell you that you can start up and run a biz with no money. It can be done with a minimal amount of money, but if you are serious about catapulting quickly, you need capital. Start outsourcing immediately. I’m talking people power! Outsource all tasks you aren’t good at or don’t have time to learn, and tasks that don’t bring in income. Techies, virtual assistants, graphic artists, copywriters, etc. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the sooner, the better! (my own first outsource was a techie for my site!)
Your business will grow and profits will come in faster if you don’t try to do it all yourself!
- Continue your education – No, you don’t have to go get another degree. But, you DO need to continue to study your area of expertise! After all, you want to be the expert in your niche. Attend webinars, read books, go to seminars, whatever is required to stay at the top of your game. The decision part comes with decision to put X number of live events on your calender, X number of books per month, etc. Do it.
- Network – This decision serves me well. It’s because of my online and offline network that other people have helped my business grow. Networking has proved to be one of the biggest income producing tasks I participate in. It’s somewhat simple math. The more people you connect with, the more people you will find that need your services. And, -the icing on the cake is referral business that comes because someone you met knows someone who knows someone . . .
- Decide to reach out – Nothing will happen in a bubble. If you want to make money, you can’t sit back and wait for it to happen. You have to take action. Reach out to your ideal clients, people in complimentary niches, etc. The more action you take, the more your results will show up.
Now, if being a successful entrepreneur is your dream, go out there and make some decisions!
And, -if you are still thinking about building a home business around your passion, why not commit to these 7 decisions and see what happens?
Be sure and come back and report in!
p.s. If you’re still looking for that first coach or mentor, let’s chat! Send me a quick e-mail here: email@example.com