They look like this: #
They are used for a variety of reasons, but mostly to group together folks who are talking about the same subject or idea.
If you’re not using them yet, you are somewhat behind. But have no fear, you can catch up quickly!
Hashtags have become a powerhouse on Twitter and here’s 5 reasons they ROCK:
- Find your tribe - Who doesn’t like to be in a group of like-minded people? Use your keywords with a hashtag and chances are likely, you will find others speaking your language!
- Be found - This works both ways. People looking for your topic and your expertise will be able to spot you because you use a hashtag. Remember, consistency is important here.
- Grow your community - This is being done every day in all kinds of ways. The most common is to have a chat at the same time every week. The more interesting and relevant you make it, the more people will be drawn to it. The usual format is to have a weekly discussion on a topic in the niche. Some of my favorite are #Blogchat, #Mediachat, and #Awechat.
- Promote events - By having attendees use a predetermined hashtag, the word will spread easier and quicker on the when, where, and how of your event. It’s a great touch also, to have attendees tweet during the event. It keeps the momentum going and continues to create excitement around your event.
- Marketing campaigns - OK, you knew this one was coming! That’s right. Create the buzz around your next product during pre-launch, launch, and follow up. Add the hashtag to your overall Twitter marketing mix and see if you don’t generate more leads!
Hashtags are being used so frequently that you don’t really have to explain what’s going on. Even mainstream TV is getting into the act! It’s a super way to tune out some of the Twitter noise and start a conversation with the people you are really interested in connecting with.
The way I see it, it’s a simple win/win.
p.s. If you are looking for me on Twitter, I use the hashtag #BeSocialBeRich. Let’s connect!